Friday, February 26, 2010

Anyone coming to visit?

Don't be discouraged by the weather reports. I just came in after playing tennis from 9:00 a.m. to noon. It was great! The new thermometer that I put out in the bushes in front of the lanai read 50 at 8:00a.m. I dressed in layers, Tennis shirt,skirt, warm-up pants and jacket with a light jacket layered in between. By 9:30 a.m. I had stripped off all my outer layers. Sitting in the sun at courtside, waiting my turn to play, it was perfectly comfortable in a tennis skirt and blouse. And on the court it was fine. Little wind, Bright sun. It is 60 degrees now in the bushes out front with a moderate NW wind blowing. I'm headed to the pool for a swim. Think I'll sit in a chaise lounge and continue with my Continuing Education Credit challenge.
I picked Holistic and Complementary Therapies for my 15 hour CEUs. It is actually interesting if written for Idiots. Nursing education for Idiots might be a better title, than Western School whatever it is. The rules say to keep track of time spent. There are, after the Introduction, Pretest, Index, Bibliography, Glossary, List of Online Resources and Exam questions at the end of each chapter, approximately 130 pages of actual text, maybe. I've covered Four Chapter in 2 hours, about 40 pages.
I've whipped through the differences Between Biomedical and Holistic Approaches to Healing, Common Types of Complementary and Alternative Therapies, Aromatherapy, Herbal Therapy and I'm on to Reflexology. I'm learned a few things. Not sure how much of it will be useful if I work at Hospice this Summer, but some of it may come in handy. When I arrive at my assigned patient's home I'll be wearing shorts, respectable shorts, and a blouse, carrying Lavender or Lemon Balm and Ginger cookies. It could work.
Back to the weather. Forget all that stuff about a Cold Front. Just because it isn't 70 or 80 doesn't mean it isn't pleasant here. What someone needs to do is find a place in the lee and enjoy the warmth, as I did yesterday and today. As I type this I notice that my hands are tanned. Maybe my face is.
So, if you are thinking about coming to visit or you have a visit planned don't, as I said, be discouraged. It is beautiful here looking out on the Inland Water Way. The birds are enjoying the wind. We had a Dolphin out front the other day doing a lazy cruise through. Diving and surfacing. No Killer Whales sighted in the Bay yet.
A group of White Pelicans are around with the Brown. Residen Osprey,t Great Blue Heron and Little Blue Heron, probably more herons and other species. I haven't spent much time looking. Great group of Black-headed Parakeets that shriek at the tennis players from the telephone lines along Midnight Pass Road. Of course, the "Uh, Oh, Uh, Oh," of the Fish Crows is omnipresent when they are congregating and vocalizing. As avertised by the Sun Rise Cove Yacht and Racquet Club, "Paradise."
Talked to the woman who owns the sailboat at the end of the dock, The Flo Along. It rarely, if ever leaves the dock. Well, last year they took it over to have the hull painted, but other than that it sits, or floats. It's about 25 -30 feet, slowly collecting barbacles. Kathy and Ron are very good-natured, have a sense of humor about the boat and its plight, non-sailing.
Don't know who owns the other sailboat. It appears to be larger, but I think it has a 29 on it somewhere. Could that be the length. Reminds me of my one sailing adventure back in 1969, sailing with three friends from Falmouth Harbour, MA to Norfolk, VA in October, I think it was.
That's a story for another time. Gotta Go. FAN

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely as I sit here and watch the snow falling. I'm really liking your blog. I can tell you're having fun writing it. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be kidding, Feida. I've been telling everyone to stay up north; at least they have heat in their houses. Hmmmm, Frieda you haven't been here long enough to know the devastation that this terrible weather has caused. I won't get into the details; it would make people feel bad.

    ReplyDelete