Friday, March 26, 2010

About the leather pants.

How I came to buying leather pants is, I hope, a short story. I've got a book to finish and I would like to get a good night's sleep.
Barbara and I were in Encore, the consignment shop on Main Street in downtown Sarasota. This shop helps to support the Women's Resource Center, which helps women retrain themselves and obtain employment. I'm pretty sure there is counseling for women, maybe a safe house, somewhere, for battered women, although there is probably a more PC name now, other than Battered women.
We had stopped in the Episcopal Thrift shop earlier and I found a couple of tennis tops for $2.00 each. Can't beat the price for a Bolle product. You can imagine our shock when we first went in to Encore, checked out a blouse and found out it was priced at $52.00!
I tried on a Cinderella type gown with a wonderful lime green organza full shirt and black velvet top. I was very happy it did not fit perfectly. It cost #155.00 and I don't really have any place to wear a Cinderella gown, at the moment. Another bright orange gown was also, not flattering and a novelty, at best. Barbara found a sale rack down in the back and handed in to the dressing room I occupied a black Eileen Fisher skirt, which fit perfectly. Cost $10.00. She also handed in the size 4 black or brownish leather pants. Cost. $14.00 I put them on and went out into the store. Barbara and all the ladies present decreed they fit perfectly. I wasn't sure. I'm still not sure, but it was obvious they had been there for a long time, being marked down over and over again until someone came in who could fit into them. I am that person.
What do I do with leather pants? For $14.00 I can wear them anywhere I please. I don't have to worry much about them. I do have to apologize for them, probably, because that's the way I am. I don't want anyone to think I went out to buy them specifically, nor do I want anyone to think I had them made, nor do I want anyone to think I think it is O.K. to wear leather pants.
What am I doing with these pants? They fit me, I'm told. That much I know or at least I'm told they fit me. One of the women shopping said they had been waiting for the right person to come along and the right person was/is you/me. I'm wondering where exactly I'll venture out in these pants. Time will tell, but when I do I'd appreciate an honest opinion. Do they fit me, really?
If they don't I can gladly donate them to someplace. If they do and I trust Barbara (I don't know all the ladies who were in the store)I'll have to adjust my attitude or maybe I'll wear them to someplace, sometime a couple of times and pass them on to? Maybe I'll enjoy wearing them. Who knows?
When I woke up this morning I had a number of topics in my head which I yearned to put on paper, which translates to putting on the blog. I like the idea of Puttin' on The Blog, as in Puttin' on the Ritz. I'm forgotten them now. Hooray! I can go back to my book. If I were to start opining about the reaction to the passage of the Health Care bill into law I might be here awhile. Aloha, FAN

1 comment:

  1. You must go back to the store. The Cinderella gown will be perfect for the sale this summer.

    Leather pants, huh?

    I assume Barbara is Barbara. Say hello for me.

    ReplyDelete