Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mid-Tournament

Back to Times. Is this font any different than the last? Wish I had a moment to write, but I don't. So why start?
Why not? A little fun is better than none. The tournament was rained out yesterday. Instead of putting us all out of our misery by ending the tournament at the end of play today, taking the scores and declaring the winner, the Committee, whoever they are, has decided to have the Awards dinner tonight, continue play tomorrow. The matches we were supposed to be playing today we will play tomorrow, because today we played the matches we were supposed to play yesterday, but couldn't due to the rain.
At the end of play Thursday, Team Number One, USA, the team I am rated a 3 on, but really should have been rated a 4, as I have been in the past (my opinion) had 21 points. Team 2, 27, Team 3, 28 and Team 4, 36. Today it only got worse. At end of play today Team One, 43, Team 2, 54, Team 3, 59 and Team 4, 66. (I could be off a couple of points one way or the other, but it's approx. correct.)
Need I say more? Of course.
It would be very interesting to know who rated the players. The Committee is never announced or acknowledged. It is secret, but it determines everything.
On Wednesday night, last year, when the Four Teams were announced and we found out who our Team leader was, who the 5 players were on the team and where we were rated I thought. "No need to play" After looking at the teams it was easy to determine that George II's team would win and they did. The play was simply a formality.
This year I had a similar experience. No question. Sandy's team is team 4. She is not only the, reportedly, best player here, but her Number 2 player is far, far better than the other Number 2 players. Her Number 3 player may or may not be a number 3 player, more like a number 4 I'd say. Her number 4 player is more like a Number 2 player and her number 5 player is probably a number 4. So with all that advantage no wonder the scores are as lopsided as they are.
I could care less about winning another trophy. I am embarrassed, as it is, to have the couple of trophies I do have sitting on the mantel on the Vineyard. I was on the winning team a couple of times, but I'm not sure that they didn't win despite me. I don't really play my best in the tournament. This tournament is no exception. So, I, as I predicted, peaked before the tournament. That got me rated a 3 when I really am more of a 4.
It has been fun, if you don't mind loosing. I don't mind loosing if I play well, but I haven't been playing my best and I've lost more than I've won, Big Time.
So I'd like to be put out of my misery. Tomorrow I am scheduled to play 8 games against Team 4. You remember Team 4, above? What will that be like? I'm staying positive, but really, What will that be like? All the balls will be hit to me, the weakest player. It's humiliating! I know it is supposed to be fun, but is that fun to feel I'm loosing the game for me and my partner?
The second and last match I play tomorrow is also against Team 4. What will that be like? I can only laugh and hope for a miracle. I have a bet with Jack, who is in charge of the Tournament. Twenty-five cents. I suggested he could simply award the trophy tonight to Sandy's team with 66 points. Why wait until tomorrow when they have another 14 or 15 or more points? Jack thinks there could be an upset. There could, but you can be sure our Team won't be upsetting anyone. We'll be lucky to come in 20 points behind the winner, I suspect.
My idea. The Committee who is announced, we are made aware of who constitutes this Committee, whoever they are, makes out the schedule, rates everyone, makes up the teams. We go to the Cocktail party. Look at the roster, congratulate the winner. Nobody plays tennis. Saves a lot of energy and a lot of embarrassment and a lot of humiliation. Of course, there may be a better way to rate the players, a fairer way, but this isn't The US Open, we don't have a lot of time to spend on this activity, Thank God!
I have had a few laughs. I was only hit once by a racquet by one of my partners. I shrieked with pain, we went on to loose that game. The pain finally subsided in the two fingers on my left hand after I played another game. No one has injured themselves, yet. I say lets stop while we're ahead, but that's not going to happen.
I can't predict the future, luckily. Perhaps there will be an upset tomorrow and I'll loose my twenty-five cents. That I would enjoy. I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime I might be able to have 15 minutes by the pool before I make the Salad I signed up to bring for the dinner. The ingredients must have cost nearly $20.00, more than the hors d'orderves!
I've been asked to sell raffle tickets during the cocktail party and perhaps the dinner. At least I'm doing my part. Gotta Go. FAN

1 comment: