Wednesday, March 3, 2010

From Panera Bread with Love

Well, I'm on wifi, but I still can't upload photos to this blog. I've tried sending a number of photos to individuals. We'll see if that worked. At least the wifi works. It's so much faster than dial up!
There is another fellow typing away on his ibook a few tables away. There is a fellow sitting near us who may be extremely sensitive to caffeine or simply on drugs and/or alcohol besides the coffee. He is loudly carrying on about a lot of things to his passive seat mate. His behavior could use some restraints, physical and/or chemical. Or maybe detox from coffee. Skip is keeping an eye and ear on him as I type.
Now this blog sounds like the people I hear talking on their cell phones. They describe where they are in the supermarket, what they are looking for, what time they are coming home, etc. Pretty boring.
As I was saying. Now that I am 67 I'm pretty sure I can use the expression, "Pushing 70." with authority. I've been looking forward to it. At 66, "Pushing 70" does not carry that much weight, nor could I say it with conviction. But, at 67, it's sounding stronger. When and if I make it to 68, 69, then I've really got it going with, "Pushing 70."
The other owners, renters at Sun Rise Cove don't really appreciate the glee I express with "Pushing 70." They, most of them, are "Pushing 80." It's not the same for them. They often tell me I'm just a kid. A kid of 67.
For years and years I was the youngest kid in my class in grammar school, high school. I waited eagerly to turn 21 so someone would take me seriously. As I aged I had people who often advised me to lie about my age- women, who may have wanted to lie about their age, told me, "Tell people you're in your 40's, when I was in my 50's. On and on it went.
Why would I want to lie about my age? Who cares? Obviously some people care to be younger, but we all know that is impossible. You can lie, but you can't be chronologically, younger than you are. Your Age? I say FLAUNT IT! I am disappointed by the American or is it world-wide importance put on looking young. Look your age, I say.
Easy for me to say, because people do tell me I look younger than my age. However, when people tell me I don't look my age, I tell them, "Look again! Those are wrinkles. I earned them fair and square." I waited years for my hair to turn grey. I like it grey. I don't want to dye it black or brown. Red maybe or Green or Blue, but not younger. Purple hair has intrigued me since my 20's when I sprayed my hair grey and purple when I got the chance.
Why can't we not be concerned about age. Why can't we simply live our lives without labels like OLD. I don't mind being OLD, but I certainly am not OVER THE HILL. I hope to live long enough to have white hair, like my mother's. She made it to 75 before she seccombed to Ovarian Cancer or was it the Surgeon? That was in 1978. No need to rehash that, at the moment.
Skip is sitting across the table from me impatiently asking me to stop typing. He wants to leave. It is difficult to concentrate or even think when someone is talking, agitating to leave.
So, because I can't think straight with Skip harassing me, I'm signing off.
The next event is an Early Bird Special at a local French rest. Then we'll have to decide on a movie. I want to see some of the movies up for Oscars before the Oscars.
Gotta go. FAN

No comments:

Post a Comment