Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Washday Later

This font is Arial or so it says. Not much time to blog. There is a free talk at the Selby Library in downtown Sarasota the three of us are going to attend. I noticed the event listed in The Pelican Press, a free newspaper that arrives near the office on Thursdays. "Netherland" by Joseph O'Neill, "fabled New York Chelsea Hotel's role in mystery & romance." Reviewed by Dr. Martin Tucker, editor and professor emeritus, Long Island University.
Kay is interested and Skip wants to go along, so I'm postponing the Laundry until later. I suggested me go because I have fond memories of the Chelsea Hotel and I'm curious what the book and this Dr. Tucker have to say about the place.
In the 60's, probably around 1965 to be exact or somewhere around there, I visited my friend Kasoundra Kasoundra off and on. She lived near St. Mark's Place, 12th Street maybe. She was madly in love with Leonard Cohen, the Canadaian poet, singer/songwriter. Madly in love may be an exaggeration. But she was definitely enamoured by him of him. (no time to check over this)
Kasoundra and I would go to the Chelsea Hotel. Kasoundra would find us a seat in the lobby. I have such a vague recollection of what the lobby looked like. It was my job to call Leonard Cohen, Kasoundra knew him, I think she may have done the art work for one of his album covers, so she had his room number, etc., knew when he was there, etc.
Dutifully, I called Leonard Cohen from the lobby phone, to tell him Kasoundra was waiting in the lobby. The object was for him to come down to have a drink and chat with us, I guess. Or maybe the object was for him to invite Kasoundra up to his room, but I certainly did not suggest that, although I would have suggested that if Kasoundra asked me to. Kasaoundra and I were friends. How we met is another story.
Kasoundra and I would then sit in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel and wait for Leonard Cohen to arrive in the lobby. I have no idea what I thought I would do if he did arrive. Size up the situation, I guess and play it by ear. Anyhow, I do not remember him arriving in the lobby. I do not remember seeing anyone famous as we sat in the lobby. I do remember him answering the phone, me being polite, he being polite. That's what I remember about that. Nothing too exciting. It was fun to listen to Kasoundra tell me how exciting she thought Leonard Cohen was. I knew of him, loved Susanne takes me down to the place by the River, etc, but other than that what did I know about Leonard Cohen?
Kasoundra never got to "date" Leonard Cohen, as far as I know, I haven't asked her recently. Maybe she did "date" him.
What I do remember is the time Kasoundra and I were walking around Greenwich Village when we happened by a music place, whose name escapes me at the moment. Kasoundra suggested me go in and listen to the rehearsal she knew was happening inside. She did or was in the process of doing the art work for the albem cover for the band or their friends or something. It was a long time ago.
We walked into the pretty dark theater, sat down in the second or third row and listened for a while. When the band took a break Kasoundra said, "Come on, I'll introduce you." Being in my twenties and still shy I walked up behind her, and when she said to Frank Zappa, "This is my friend Norma Holmes, I stuck my hand out, shook is hand, said something like, "Hi"and stood around not knowing what to say next. What do you say to a "living legend?" Today I would probably have a lot to say, but back in the 60's when I was a very shy young woman in my 20's I just wanted to not say anything "wrong."
Kasoundra did the talking for the two of us. Never shy, Kasoundra knew and she knows lots of musicians, artists, etc. And she isn't shy about her ideas and opinions. I guess I could say the same know. Anyhow, I'm hoping this book, reviewed by Dr. Tucker will shed some light on all the other denizens of the Chelsea Hotel. There were a lot of interesting artists, musicians, writers,, etc. that stayed there. Leonard Cohen being just one.
Gotta Go. FAN

No comments:

Post a Comment