Friday, March 5, 2010

Post tennis thoughts

Can't spend too much time writing. This could be an afternoon to spend by and in the pool. The thermometer in the bushes out front says it's 58 degrees. The sun is shining. Light breeze, 10 -15 mph out of the North West. Perfect!
Spent the morning at the Round Robin. There were 18 people there at 9:00a.m. Eight playing on the two courts and ten people sitting and standing on the sunny side of the court 2. George II told me he had never seen so many people turn out for Round Robin.
So, we played 5 games and sat 5 games or ten games, played 5 games, etc. until about 10 - 10:30 when the crowd thins out. After that it is possible to play pretty much continuously. Great. I patiently waited and, of course, gabbed with the other tennis players.
George III's wife, Carol showed up and played. Another addition, Phil, showed up late. My biggest or one of my problems is trying to simply WATCH THE BALL, STUPID. Easy to say, very difficult to do, especially while checking out the birds, thinking about where to hit it rather than WATCH THE BALL.
However a number of people have told me I'm playing well. That makes me nervous. Not really, but I'd rather play well in the tournament than before the tournament. All the spectators do factor into the equation. I suggested to everyone that I may have "peaked" early. Let's hope not.
It is fun to play against the better players. It helps to improve my game and it is also a lot more fun. But it can be fun to play with people who don't play up to the better players' level. it is a much more relaxing game. Not so much pressure. I find I like the pressure. I like the challenge of trying to play with the Big Guys.
The last game today I played with John Kelly, who I love to kid because he is always trying to hit one down the alley or some other low percentage shot and often misses, but not always. He is fun to play against, if he muffs his low percentage shots. Today he and I played against two guys I've never played against. One I'd never seen, Phil. Phil isn't playing in the tournament.
Phil looks like a football player - Big guy. Wears a brace on his right leg. He is visiting someone. He appears to be in his 50's?? The other fellow, his partner, John, is playing in the tournament. He is older, probably older than I am. I don't remember playing against him before.
It could have been a massacre. I'll spare you the details of the game. Phil suggested we play a full set, instead of Round Robin rules, which are 5 games, no adds, sudden death at 40/40.
But it wasn't a massacre.
Phil served to me the way he would to another man. I returned some, but really a low percentage of those serves. He switched to softer serve. I was hoping he'd continue to whip the serves at me, because I was determined to learn how to return them. It takes a few tries, sometimes.
Anyhow, that made playing easier for me. To sum it up. We got to 5/4 in games and it was my turn to serve. No pressure. I was serving into the Sun, for practice, and figured we might be there all day if I lost my serve. However, miracle of miracles, I won my serve. It might even have been 40/15. I muffed a shot at 40/love. John shouted, "We're Invincible." I said, "We are not invincible, but we did win." Miracle of Miracles. I just hope I haven't peaked too early.
Tournament play doesn't begin until next Thursday. Two more opportunities to "practice, Sunday and Wednesday. If everyone stays uninjured it should be fun.
There are 20 players, lots of linespeople, some subs, just in case. We find out how we are ranked and what team we play on at the cocktail party next Wednesday night.
A couple of the long-time tennis players, George II and, maybe Jack L. and I don't know who else, rank the 20 players 1 to 20 for ability. Then they make up four teams of 5. So the number one player gets number 20 on her team. No 2 gets number 19 etc. That's, I'm told how the teams are made up. We never find out where we are ranked, but we are ranked 1 to 5 on each team. I beleive I have played as a 4, last year, pretty near the bottom, 5 being the least able player, Number 1 being the best and team captain. I may have played as a 3 once.
George II tells me I'm moving up. I'd rather stay where I am, maybe. We'll see. I'll play where "they" put me, obviously. Then we play.........you probably aren't really interested in the details of play. I'll stop here.
Time to go out and lounge around by the pool, out of the wind. Check the temperature of the water in the pool. Maybe take a swim. I'm wearing a new swim suit I bought on impulse at Mohonk this Christmas. It was very inexpensive, for a swim suit, and it is reversible. Don't ask me how that works, yet. Navy blue with red trim. and Red with navy trim. One of those things with a low back, crossed straps across the back for swimming laps, maybe. At least it is one piece and does not have skirt.
For a while I thought, a few years ago, it might be time to switch to bathing suits with skirts, like some "old ladies" wear, for obvious reasons - the more thigh covered, maybe the better. But, I've changed my mind. I'm in a one piece suit. I'm even thinking of going back to a two piece, maybe not a bikini again, but maybe. Why not? There was a slim woman from France down at the pool last year, older than I am, who looked perfectly fine in a two piece suit, without a skirt. What do I care anyhow? There is no papparazzi around here.
If I'm not going to dye my hair, which I definitely am not going to do, why should I wear an "old lady" swimsuit? Exactly! I'm told "the legs are the last to go". Someone told me that once. They were talking about the aging process. I'm not sure that it true. I don't know what goes first or last. But I am a proponent of simply putting on something comfortable and going outside. I don't have to look at myself and neither does anyone else. Their choice. Just like the blog. Read it if you want to or don't. Free choice.
Fish Fry tonight. No cooking, (for me) Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment