Monday, March 8, 2010

Apologies All Around

How about a different type face for a change? This is Verdana instead of the usual Times.
Next. It is finally 70 degrees here on Siesta Key. 70's predicted for the next week. High 70's on Wednesday. 40% chance of rain on Thursday and Friday.
Just saw George II who ran the tournament a couple of years, at least, rates the players, etc., takes a real interest in having the tournament go well. He's worried about the rain. I told him, "Four out of 10 chances of rain? That's isn't bad."
When the weatherpeople say 30% chance of rain I think the chances are slim. Forty percent is a little higher, but I take notice around 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%. Now those last few are serious chances of rain. 40%? Who knows? Wait until Thursday and see what the weather is. Why worry?
Which brings me to THE APOLOGIES. Please forgive me if in recent, or any, posts I have been unkind to persons known or unknown. As I wrote I wondered from time to time if I should mention people or talk about people. I don't think I have maligned anyone. I hope I haven't said anything hurtful. I haven't been told that I have hurt anyone nor has anyone complained to me about something I have written on this blog.
However, I have been reflecting about some of the stories I have written that involve people I come into contact with. I want to be sure that I am not writing gossip. Gossip to me means something malicious, something hurtful.
Writing about someone, I don't think, is bad. I could be writing something congratulatory or praiseworthy. I could be saying something good. What I don't want to do is say something bad about someone.
I've tried to report events as I experience them. I hope I haven't slanted your view of someone by what I have said, but I feel I may have. If you haven't met any of the people here at Sun Rise Cove so can't relate to them, except through what you read about them from what I write. I want to be fair. It is difficult to be objective. I believe in writing what I observe, experience, what I feel. I know I have a right to my opinion about issues and people, but how to go about stating them without harm to others?
So, when I was reflecting on this topic - I came to this of my own accord, as I said, I have had no complaints - picked up the book, The Path to Awakening and read until I found what I was looking for to guide me.
Before I type those words here let me say. I find self-discipline to be easiest when it comes to eating correctly, exercising for my health. Not that those things are easy. It took me many years to learn how to eat in a healthy manner, how to discipline myself to not eat between meals. I have to remind myself, if it isn't tennis weather or birding season, to get out and walk, sometimes. Luckily my "nature" as described by the habits I've developed over a lifetime, is to be active.
Sometimes I would rather, if I get in the mood, sit at the computer and write or sit on the couch and read, but every day my body needs exercise and sometimes my boby doesn't mention it to me until days later. So, self-discipline has to sustain me. I need good eating and exercise habits if I want to enjoy life and I do enjoy life.
Having self-discipline of the mind is far more difficult than eating and exercising for a healthy body. Here are some things that I am happy to remind myself about while reading this a.m.
From the Sixth Point: Commitments of Mind Training
Always abide by the three basic principles.
Remaining natural, transform your attitude.
Do not talk about the defects of others.
Whatever the faults of others may be, do not contemplate them.
Abandon poisonous food.
Helping others is not based on returning favors.
Do not expose the faults of others to irritate them.
Do not wait in ambush.
Never strike at the heart.
Do not put an ox's load on a cow.
Do not aim to be the best.
Do not misuse the remedy.
Do not use gods for evil.
Be like a humble servant before all.
Do not delight in the suffering of others.
There you have it. A tall order you might say. Yes, but worth practicing. Imagine the serenity achieved by following the above points.
So, I will continue to write. I will continue to write about Sun Rise Cove and the goings on here. I hope to keep the above points in mind. And not simply keep them in mind. I hope to be able to live by their direction.
If you read the front page of the NY Times this a.m., perhaps you read about the Everglades Restoration Project and it's diminuation (is that a word?) What I mean is. The project has been stopped, scaled back, diminished etc. If you have the time, please read about it. Front Page, Upper left and pages inside. It is a long article and well worth reading. It tells a tale of short-sightedness and greed, a tale of politicians and lawyers, of lobbyists and environmentalists. A sad tale, unless Gov. Christ's et al's decisions are reversed. The life and future of the Everglades, a unique ecosystem, not just in this country, but in the entire world, is at stake. Money and politics and business futures are involved. Who will win out? I hope the Everglades will be restored. When?
Gotta Go. Thank yous to write. FAN
PS I notice after I post that there are typos in the post. When I return to clean up the writing I have, in the past, lost the whole post. Rather than risk trying to recreate something I've left the post with the typos. Perhaps you can figure out that not is no or comfortable should be comfortably, that sort of thing? FAN


No comments:

Post a Comment